Green, Cool & Comfortable - Using a Home Dehumidifier to Cool Your Home This Summer
These days you hear a lot of talk about living green and saving the earth. While there is still significant debate about whether or not global warming is real or not, we can all agree that we need to take care of our environment, so we can all enjoy it. Plus, living more efficiently is also good for cutting costs and saving money.
One easy way to help save the earth, cut costs and make your home more comfortable is to use a home dehumidifier. A home dehumidifier can help cool your home by reducing the moisture that's in the air. This will make your home will feel more comfortable and less stuffy. Keep reading for some helpful tips for effectively using a dehumidifier!
Where a Home Dehumidifier is Most Effective
- Hot, humid climates - If you use a dehumidifier in a hot, dry area like Nevada, you won't notice the same cooling effect as someone living in a hot, humid area like Florida.
- Near large rivers, lakes or other bodies of water - Large bodies of water tend to cause the humidity to rise near the areas surrounding it. This means that if you live near the ocean, a lake or a river, it may make sense to purchase a home dehumidifier to make your home more comfortable
- Kitchens, basements & bathrooms - These rooms tend to be the most stuffy, humid rooms in the home and can be much more comfortable with a dehumidifier.
Tips of Eco-Friendly Dehumidifying
At first glance, a home dehumidifier uses a lot of energy and does not seem like an environmentally friendly appliance. Generally, a portable dehumidifier uses up to 160 kilowatt hours per month. This sounds like a lot of energy that's wasted! However, when you compare it to the 300 kilowatt hours or more that your central air conditioner uses, it doesn't seem like that much. Here are a few tips for effectively using a home dehumidifier:
- Don't run your dehumidifier all day long. When you do this, it's not effective and wastes money and energy. Instead, only run it during the hottest parts of the day.
- Be reasonable. Set the humidistat at a reasonable level. Instead of setting it at 20 or 30% humidity, consider setting it at 50% or above. You'll still feel the cooling effects, but you won't you won't gasp in horror when your electricity bill comes due.
- Keep your doors and windows closed. Using a home dehumidifier follows the same principles as using an air conditioner... you wouldn't want to pay to cool the entire neighborhood and you don't want to pay to dehumidify the entire neighborhood.
- Recycle your water. While drinking water that was collected in your home dehumidifier isn't a good idea, using the water to water your plants is a good idea. By doing this, you'll also be able to cut down on your water bill.
Other Ways to Reduce Humidity, Save Money and Save the Earth
There are many other ways to live more comfortably, save money and help the environment. First, fix any leaky sinks, hoses or pipes you have. By doing this, you'll use less water and decrease the amount of humidity in your home. Also, make sure all gutters and drains lead away from your house. If they are leading toward your house, water may seem into foundation and cause the humidity to rise in your home. This means you'll spend more money cooling your home and this can lead to expensive water damage down the road.
If you're interested in purchasing an eco-friendly home dehumidifier or if you have any questions about green cooling products, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-734-0405 and we'll be happy to help you. We look forward to your call!
- Shop All Departments
- Shop by Room Size:
- Editor's Picks
- Shop by Price:
- Shop by Size:
- Shop by Brand:
- Dehumidifier Resources:
- Contact Us
- Clearance Items
- 3 EASY WAYS TO PAY!
- Customer Service Hours:
Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 5 PM PST
- Toll Free Number:
- Local Number:
- Fax Number:
1100 S. Linwood Ave. Bldg B
Santa Ana, CA 92705
- In-Store Pick Up Available:
If you're a local customer, save on shipping by coming in to pick up your order. Select products that are available for local pick up - Call now and come in to pick up your purchase!
Will Call Hours:
Mon-Fri: 9 AM - 4 PM PST