Become an Appliance Expert. Subscribe to our Knowledge Base!
Table of Contents
In Depth FAQ - Avalon Bay AB-WINE27DS Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
The Avalon Bay AB-WINE27DS dual zone wine cooler is a polished black and stainless steel appliance that can hold up to 27 standard wine bottles in its 9 removable wines racks.
- Product Dimensions: L: 19.75" x W: 13.63" x H: 39.00"
- Product Weight: 48.25 lbs.
- Voltage: 120 volts
- Watts: 140 watts
- Amps: 1.8 amps
- Frequency: 60Hz
- Stores Up to 27 Bottles
- Temperature Range: Upper Zone: 44-64°F; Lower Zone: 51-64°F
- Dual Zone Cooler
- Thermoelectric Cooling System
- Freestanding Unit
- 9 Removable Wine Shelves
- "Push Button" Temperature Control
- Digital LED Display and Control Panel
- Stainless Steel Doors
- Blue Interior LED Light
- Sleek and Compact Design
- Dual Storage ?? Store your red and white wines in the same cooler!
- Silent and vibration-free cooling system operation
- Removable racks to make room for larger bottles
- Freestanding unit that can be placed anywhere
- Easy monitoring with digital LED display
- Perfect addition to any home, mini-bar and similar locations.
What does this wine cooler do?
- This wine cooler stores up to 27 standard sized bottles of wine.
- It is equipped with 9 removable wine racks to make room for larger bottles.
- Allows you to store your red and white wines at separate temperature settings.
- Keeps your wine cooled at the perfect serving temperature.
Why should I use this wine cooler?
The AB-WINE27DS dual wine cooler offers a great performance, convenience and style. With this cooler you can store up to 27 bottles of your favorite red and white wine. As a freestanding unit, this wine cooler can be placed anywhere, and you don't have to worry about noises because its thermoelectric cooling systems allows it to have a quiet and vibration-free system.
Overall, the AB-WINE27DS dual wine cooler is easy to use and definitely worth the value!
Where exactly can I use this wine cooler?
The AB-WINE27DS dual wine cooler is a freestanding unit that can be placed almost any location. Because it is built with rear-venting, there has to be at least 6inches of space between the cooler and the wall.
Tips on where to store this cooler:
- Place the wine cooler on a flat surface that is strong enough to support the appliance.
- Install the cooler away from direct sunlight and sources of heat such as stove, heater, radiator, etc.
- This cooler is intended for indoor use only.
- Extreme cold or hot ambient temperatures may also cause the cooler not to perform properly.
Is this a freestanding or built in unit?
The AB-WINE27DS is a freestanding unit that can be placed almost anywhere. To ensure proper ventilation, it is recommended that you allow enough room for the cooler's rear-vents.
Which is a better unit, single zone or dual zone?
Pros of Single-Zone
- It is great for beginners who are just starting off a wine collection, but with just one kind of wine.
- Easy, seamless temperature function means there is no need to constantly fool around with the temperature inside.
- The single zone cooler is also less expensive than other types of wine coolers, because it is not overly-complex, and only handles one temperature and one kind of wine. This kind of cooler is perfect for wine enthusiasts who like to play favorites.
Cons of Single-Zone
- Because of its one-temperature feature, it cannot hold a variety of wines.
- This will also cause a problem when it comes to maturation, since the temperature cannot be fluctuated to fit specific maturation temperatures that each type of wine might hold.
- Customers may need to buy more than one wine cooler if they have to have the single zone cooler, but they have different kinds of wine.
- It is perfect for those who like a range of wine, since they can be stored in the same cooler, in separate temperatures.
- The temperatures do not need to be messed with, they are already set at the perfect temperature.
- The dual zone cooler is ultimately cheaper for holding different wines at the same time.
Cons of Dual Zone:
- Those who like one kind of wine will never use the other compartment, so it becomes a waste of space.
- If you favor white over red, you may be out of luck since most dual zone wine coolers have less storage space for white wines than red.
- Finally, it is a hefty investment, both in size and price. It is more expensive then the single zone cooler, so unless the plan is to hold different kinds of wine, the dual zone cooler may not be the right choice.
Which is better, front venting or back/side venting?
They each have their perks.
Front venting units can be stored under counters and out of the way. Built-in wine coolers are typically constructed this way.
Back venting and/or side venting units keep the front face of the unit looking sleek. It all depends on the aesthetic you're looking for and where you would like to place your wine cooler.
Which is better, thermoelectric or compressor wine cooler?
Pros of Thermoelectric Units:
There is no alternating mechanism and no motors or compressors in the thermoelectric cooler that would make a bunch of noise and vibrations.
- The thermoelectric technology is silent and free from vibrations owing to the absence of moving parts. It is therefore a better alternative for preserving the quality of wine.
- Over-freezing is also not possible with the thermoelectric cooler.
- The equipment will typically reduce the temperature inside the cooler by 50 degrees F to 54 degrees F (or 10 degrees C to 12 degrees C) as compared with the outside temperature and maintain it at this automatically.
- The thermoelectric cooler is versatile, and can be used just about anywhere.
- It is not a huge energy consumer, thanks to its mechanism, and because of this, can be considered eco-friendly.
- And finally, it is lightweight since it does not have any compressors or other heavy parts weighing it down, which makes it highly mobile.
Cons of Thermoelectric Units:
- Chilling the wine inside takes some time, so placing them inside beforehand is a good idea.
- It is easily influenced by its environment. So, if it is stored in a hotter area, it will adversely affect the inside's cooling capacity.
- Unlike the compressor cooler, which can chill the inside to a wide array of temperatures, the thermoelectric cooler is a little less predictable, and again is easily influenced by its outside environment, temperature-wise.
- It can also only hold a minimal amount of bottles, due to its cooling capacity, and works well in a moderate setting, but not much more.
Pros of Compressor Units:
- As soon as the compressors sense that the interior of the cooler is heating up, even the slightest bit, it turns itself back on and will cool it back down to the temperature that it is preset to.
- Working the opposite way, once the compressor senses that its preset temperature has been reached throughout the wine cooler, it shuts itself down so the contents to not over-freeze. Basically, it continuously works to keep the temperature at a perfect limit.
Cons of Compressor Units:
- The compressor technology in the cooler gives rise to vibrations and noises. While they may not be significant enough to bother the cooler owner, the vibrations may reduce the shelf life of the bottles of wine stored slightly.
- It consumes a lot of electricity and also makes use of environmentally detrimental chemicals in the cooling process, therefore, it cannot be considered eco-friendly.
- It incorporates heavy machinery (the compressor), so it has decreased mobility. Once it is placed in its spot, it is stuck there, unless the consumer decides to install it in another spot. It cannot be moved all the time.
ASSEMBLY/ INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Remove the exterior and interior packaging. Check to ensure all parts are included:
- 9 shelves
- 1 handle with 2 screws
- 1 owner's manual
If any parts are missing, please contact the dealer where you purchased the unit or Avalon Bay customer service.
Before installation, attach the handle to the front of the unit with the included screws. It may be necessary to push aside the rubber seal on the inside of the door to reveal the screw holes. Avoid over-tightening the screws, or you may cause damage to the unit.
1. Clean the interior surface with lukewarm water using a soft cloth.
2. Place your wine cooler on a surface that is strong enough to support the appliance when it is fully loaded. To level your cooler, adjust the front legs at the bottom of the appliance.
3. For proper ventilation, allow at least 2 inch clearance between the back of the unit and any adjacent walls
4. For best results, install away from direct sunlight and sources of heat (stove, heater, radiator, etc.). Direct sunlight may affect the acrylic coating and heat sources may increase electrical consumption. Extreme cold or hot ambient temperatures may also cause the cooler not to perform properly.
5. This cooler is not designed for placement in attic or basement. The appliance is for indoor use only.
It is recommended that you install the wine cooler in a place where the ambient temperature is between 50- 80°F (10-26°C). If the ambient temperature is above or below the recommended temperatures, the performance of the unit may be affected. For example, placing in extreme cold or hot conditions may cause interior temperature to fluctuate. The desired range of 44-64°F (11-18°C) may not be reached.
The temperature may fluctuate depending on whether or not the interior light is on or off or whether the bottles are located on the upper, middle or lower section.
How to Set the Temperature
There are three touch-buttons on the control panel:
Increase set temperature by 1°F
Decrease set temperature by 1°F
Turns on or off the interior light
The top compartment has a cooling range of 44-64°F (11-18°C).
The lower compartment has a cooling range of 51-64°F (7-18°C).
This product will provide maximum cooling of 25 degrees below the external temperature. When the external temperature is at 77°F (25°C) or less, this unit can maintain an interior temperature range between 51-64°F (11-18°C).
The upper section of the cooler holds 9 bottles and the lower section holds 18 bottles.
What are the temperatures for each zone?
The top zone of the cooler is 44-64°F. The bottom zone is 51-64°F.
How long does it take for the unit to reach the set temperature?
With a brand new unit, it could take up to 12 hours for the cooler to get to its lowest temperature setting.
NOTE: This wine cooler's temperature is directly affected by factors such as:
- External room temperature
- How often the wine cooler door is opened
- The number of "warmer" bottles stored in the cooler
Will this wine cooler run continuously if it is set in a warmer room or climate?
Depending on the exterior temperature, the temperature of the cooler may fluctuate. For example, placing the cooler in extremely cold or hot conditions may alter the interior temperature. Be sure to place it in a cool areas of your home and away from direct areas of sunlight.
NOTE: This cooler will cool 25 degrees below the external temperature.
Can I use this unit as a built-in wine cooler?
The AB-WINE27DS is a freestanding unit that needs proper ventilation. It can be placed almost anywhere, but for proper ventilation, it is recommended that you allow enough room for the cooler's rear-vents.
How do I clean the AB-WINE27DS?
Cleaning your wine cooler
- 1. Unplug the wine cooler and remove the bottles.
- 2. Wash the inside with a solution of warm water and baking soda. The solution should be about 2 tablespoons of baking soda to a quart of water.
- 3. The outside of wine cooler should be cleaned with mild detergent and warm water.
- 4. Pull out the condensation tray at the bottom of the unit and wash it.
Moving your wine cooler
- 1. Remove all the bottles.
- 2. Securely tape down all loose items inside your wine cooler.
- 3. Turn the leveling legs up to the base to avoid damage.
- 4. Tape the door closed.
- 5. Be sure the wine cooler stays in the upright position during transportation.
Do not dispose of this product as unsorted municipal waste. Collection of such waste separately for special treatment is necessary. Take the cabinet to a recycling plant.
Please remove the door before you dispose of your refrigerator.
How often should I clean the AB-WINE27DS?
This wine cooler will need to be cleaned about once or twice a year. The more the cooler is used, the more it may need to be cleaned.
- Improper use of the grounded plug can result in electrical shock. If the power cord is damaged, please contact customer service.
- This unit should be properly grounded for your safety. The power cord of this appliance is equipped with a three-prong plug, which is compatible with standard three prong wall outlets to minimize the possibility of electric shock.
- This appliance requires a standard 120 volt, 60Hz electrical outlet with a three-prong ground.
- Plug the wine cooler into a dedicated, grounded wall outlet. Do not, under any circumstances, remove the third (grounded) prong from the power cord. Direct any questions concerning power and/or grounding to a certified electrician.
Important Safety Instructions:
- Do not operate this appliance if it has a damaged cord.
- If the power cord is damaged, it must be replaced by the manufacturer, its service agent, or a similarly qualified person in order to avoid a hazard.
- Only connect the wine cooler to a properly polarized outlet. No other appliance should be plugged into the same outlet. Make sure the plug is fully inserted into the receptacle.
- Do not run the power cord over carpeting or heat insulators. Do not cover the cord. Keep the cord away from high traffic areas and never submerge it in water.
Additional Safety Tips
- Never clean appliance parts with flammable fluids. The fumes can create a fire hazard or explosion.
- Do not store or use gasoline or any other flammable vapors and liquids in the vicinity of this or any other appliance. The fumes can create a fire hazard or explosion.
- Do not store explosive substances such as aerosol cans with a flammable propellant in this appliance.
- Do not store food in this wine refrigerator, as the interior temperature may not get cold enough to prevent spoilage.
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children) with reduced physical sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge, unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety.