Become an Appliance Expert. Subscribe to our Knowledge Base!
Guy Food: The Recipe Guide for Men
Being a bachelor does have its benefits. However, eating out every day will eventually have you craving a warm, home cooked meal. You can take initiative and try your hand at home cooking either for yourself or for the ladies, but without the right tips and guidelines, chances are that you will burn or undercook your meal. To get you started with your new and impressive skill, we've put together a list of some of the basics.
Should I Really Learn How to Cook?
Every man may ask this question when told to slave over a hot oven, even if it is just for a few minutes. However, any reservations a man may have are easily overshadowed by the following benefits.
- Independence - By learning how to cook, you will not need to depend on anyone to cook for you. Other than gaining an additional skill, you will also earn the respect of other men who are not brave enough to venture this far.
- Eat Healthy - Not only will you be able to break a sweat in the kitchen, your culinary skills can also be used to cook healthy foods that are beneficial to your diet. Plus, since you are cooking your own meals, you will rely less on unhealthy fast food.
- Create an Impression - There can be nothing more appealing to a woman than the fact that her man can cook. The ability to cook will instantaneously make your better half find you attractive and charming. Besides, there is no harm in being able to save a few dollars in the process.
Cooking Guidelines for New Male Chefs
According to statistics, 14% more men have started cooking than they did in 1965. In addition, eight percent of these men tend to spend more time cooking as well. These numbers come to prove that men are taking more interest in cooking than ever before. Therefore, you will not be alone in the kitchen and rest assured that no one will make fun of you. If this spikes your interest but you know nothing about the ins and out of the kitchen, follow these tips to enjoy a splendid cooking experience and create some amazing dishes.
Keep it Simple
Since you have no prior experience, starting with basic dishes and recipes is a good idea. It's best to perfect simplicity than create mediocre complexity. There's no need to get ambitious when wow-ing with the basics will get you just as far.
Refer to Cook Books
If you do not know of any recipes, you could rely on cook books or authentic online recipe sources. Some are categorized according to ingredients, so you can decide based on what you already have. In addition, the guidance and visual illustrations in these books provide a reference point on which you can assess whether the dish is up to the mark or not. However, rather than skimming through the instructions like you would an instruction manual, make sure to go through them thoroughly.
Use the Required Amounts of Ingredients
Rather than guessing the amount of ingredients needed to cook a recipe, you should measure ingredients accurately. Not using the correct ingredients can have a negative effect on the outcome of the dish you are preparing.
Know That Your Equipment Make a Difference
A chef's appliances can make or break a recipe. For instance, by using a grill like the Cuisinart GR-4N Griddler 4-in-1 Stainless Steel Grill, you can save time and cook quickly while ensuring that your meats are cooked according to your recipe's requirements. Other equipment that can help improve your cooking technique include Hamilton Beach 33141 4-Quart Slow Cooker and BM-1107 Sunpentown 3 in 1 Breakfast Maker. These make cooking easier and more pleasurable for guys.
Appliances aside, simple tools like your knives can make a difference. Not having sharp knives can be dangerous as you will have to strain yourself and can risk hurting yourself in the process. Moreover, sharp knives cut your work in half.
Six Easy Recipes for Men to Try
If everything above inspires you to step into the kitchen and start cooking, here are six recipes to get you started.
|Soy Glazed Salmon||Pan-Seared Filet Mignon||Vegetarian Asian Stir Fry|
|Chili-Lime Shrimp Kebabs||Lemon Garlic Chicken (Sauteed)||Italian Meatballs|
|#1) Soy Glazed Salmon|
- All the ingredients apart from the salmon have to be placed in a frying pan on low heat.
- Stir until the sugar begins to dissolve and begins to grow as thick as a sauce.
- Keep the sauce and salmon in a sealed plastic bag and then let the fish marinate for two hours in the fridge.
- Take the fish and sauce out of the bag and place it in a sheet of tin foil.
- The oven needs to be pre-heated to broil. Afterwards, the fish has to be allowed to broil in the oven for about eight minutes. Once the fish looks as though it can flake easily or is not raw from the middle anymore, take it out immediately.
- To make the flavor of this dish stand out, serve it with steamed broccoli or rice
#2) Pan-Seared Filet Mignon
- Two 8-10 oz. beef filets
- Canola Oil
- Using two tablespoons of oil, heat a small pan on a high flame.
- The filets need to be seared on each side for no more than 30 seconds.
- Wrap the filets in tin foil and then place them in the oven.
- The filets will need to be broiled for no more than six to seven minutes. To check for the color of the filets, cut the meat from the middle. To ensure that the filets are up to the mark, make sure that they are anywhere between medium to dark shades of pink. If you notice that the meat is brown or red, it is over or under-cooked respectively.
You can serve the filets along with roasted red potatoes and wine to pleasure your taste buds.
#3) Vegetarian Asian Stir Fry
- One red pepper, julienned
- One yellow pepper, julienned
- Two cups broccoli (chopped into chunks)
- 2 cups snow peas
- 1/2 cup stir fry sauce
- On a medium flame, heat three table spoons of olive oil in a deep fry pan.
- Add the vegetables to the oil and cook them until they become tender. This process will take anywhere between seven to ten minutes.
- After adding the stir fry sauce, cook the pan's contents for an additional minute.
One of the perks of this dish is that it is quite versatile. It can be served with either rice or merlot.
#4) Chili-Lime Shrimp Kebabs
- 1 lb. uncooked shrimp , peeled
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- One clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Three lime
- Keeping one lime aside, put the remaining limes along with all the other ingredients in a sealed bag.
- Place the shrimp in the bag as well and allow it to marinate for no more than 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, the skewers have to be soaked in water for approximately fifteen minutes.
- Pierce the shrimp and thread it onto the skewers.
- Wrap the skewers in tin foil and then place them in the oven.
- The shrimp should be left to broil or grill until it turns pink; this usually takes around eight minutes in a good griller.
- Cut the remaining lime into wedges to garnish the dish.
You can serve the skewers in a variety of ways, so use your creativity. As for what to serve with this dish, consider adding rice or even tortillas.
#5) Lemon Garlic Chicken (Sauteed)
Two chicken breast halves
1/2 cup chicken broth
One tablespoon olive oil
One garlic clove, minced
One tablespoon lemon juice
- First off, heat a pan containing one tablespoon of olive oil.
- While maintaining a medium heat, add garlic and saut?? it for no more than a minute.
- Add the chicken and fry each side for four minutes or until each sign turns a golden brown.
- Add the chicken broth and then cover the pan.
- Prepare the oven for the next stage of cooking. Set it on low and then place the chicken in it. Simmer for no less than thirty minutes.
- Remove the chicken and then mix the lemon juice with the broth. Allow this mixture to cook until it has boiled down by a third.
- Finally, place the chicken in the pan. This will allow the chicken to gain an extra juicy taste.
#6) Italian Meatballs
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 lb. ground veal
- 1 lb. smoky bacon, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- Eight garlic cloves, minced
- ?? flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- ?? cup milk
- One teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Canola oil
- 12 cups of tomato sauce
- Mix the meats, bacon, eggs, onion, garlic and spices together. Knead the mixture like you would dough. (In case you never made dough, you can watch a video on YouTube for instructions).
- Slowly add the milk, bread crumbs, salt and pepper until the mixture feels like wet sand.
- To test your meatballs, fry a bit of meat in a hot pan and taste it.
- If the salt and pepper ratios are just right, place the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Place the sauce in a pan and keep it warm over low heat.
- Shape the meatballs, preferably with an ice cream scoop to create the perfect shape.
- Heat the oil and then fry the meatballs, ensuring that all sides are brown.
- Place the brown meatballs in a casserole and cover them with the sauce. Bake the whole concoction for 1 ?? to two hours or until the meatballs feel firm.
- Garnish the dish with grated cheese and complement it with crusty bread.
This will make a big batch, about 25 to 30 meatballs. So you can cook this for a quick get-together.
The Bottom Line
Now that you know about the tips and tricks that can help you cook, do not be a stranger to your kitchen. You can make your life even easier by adding a few appliances like a cooker or griller. Finally, remember these recipes, especially if you are cooking to impress someone special who would appreciate you cooking for them.