There is a good chance of significant water damage to your home or office because of El Nino Flooding.
This can become a big hassle as repairing for flood damage is quite difficult.
There are many things that you need to take care of after the premises have flooded. If you perform the necessary repairs on your own, you will have a tough time. Not to mention, not everything can be restored 100%.
This is why you should consider using appliances that can repair damage caused by the flood. Not only will it make things easier, but you will get the restoring done quicker.
- The first thing that you should do is remove items that cannot be restored.
- This will eliminate considerable dampness caused by the flood.
- Once again, do keep in mind that you will require appliances to remove the dampness inside your home or workplace.
There are quite a few people who simply open the doors and windows to eliminate the dampness.
- Do keep in mind that this will not work for homes or offices with small windows.
- In addition, water damaged premises require the moisture to be removed, not dried in place. Such buildings require dehumidifiers to eliminate dampness.
- If not, the moisture will dry in place and cause further damage.
Type of Appliances You Can Use To Restore Flooded Premises
There are quite a few appliances that you can use to restore flood damage.
The first thing that you have to concentrate on is removing accumulated water, and the best machine in this regard is the pump.
- A pump is quick at removing water accumulated in any area and sending it to a drain.
- And the first thing that you will notice about this pump is that it is easy to use. You do not need an extensive setup process to get it to work.
- Simply place the pump where the water is accumulated and it will begin working its magic. It will then transmit all the moisture to a drain or separate area. This is the easy part.
The tough part is drying out the entire area. Enclosed areas like office buildings and basements take a long time to dry out.
- During the time there is moisture contained in such areas, there is a heavy chance of appliances getting damaged.
- In addition, there is also the threat of infections to people inside the building. This is why you have to make sure that you get the area dried off as soon possible.
If you want to use a reasonable appliance to dry out the premises, you should consider portable dehumidifiers.
There are quite a few options you can choose from depending upon the weather conditions in your area.
- There are specific dehumidifiers for areas that have a temperature of 65 to 95 degrees.
- If the temperature of your area is 70 to 105 Fahrenheit, you will need to purchase a different type of dehumidifier.
Another thing that you should look for in a dehumidifier is the amount of water it can remove in a day.
- You will find a variety of dehumidifiers that can remove anything from 57 liters up to 349 liters of water in a day.
- Also consider special features like pumps that are included with dehumidifiers.
- In most cases, the water drains out on its own and moisture or dampness needs drying. But do get a pump if the need arises.
The exact time that it takes for a room to dry out completely depends on various factors.
First and foremost, the premises should have ample ventilation. Even though the dehumidifier does most of the work, it helps to have ventilation.
The size of the room versus the drying capacity of the dehumidifier should also be taken into account. Also, the intensity of the damage counts a lot.
- For instance, if you have about 100 liters of water logged in a facility and you have a dehumidifier that can handle this water capacity, it will take you a day to remove all the moisture.
- This time may be extended if the weather conditions are not suitable for the dehumidifier.
The size of the room is another factor that you have to take into account.
- If the room is too large for the dehumidifier to work, then you will not get quick results, but the room will eventually dry out. However, it will take longer than usual.
This is why you have to take the room size into account, along with dehumidifier type andhow it has been installed.
- Most portable dehumidifiers that are built for drying flood affected premises are equipped with a hose as well. The dehumidifier collects the moisture from the room and transmits it away from the premises.
Why Should You Use Dehumidifiers to Dry the Premises?
There is an ongoing argument about whether or not to use dehumidifiers to dry flood affected premises.
After all, the premises will eventually dry out on their own. This is maybe true, but during that time, dampness will promote mold growth.
Mold not only causes an unpleasant odor, but also promotes the spread of diseases. Individuals with respiratory diseases and problems will have a tough time working or living in such spaces.
As mentioned above, another reason to dry such areas with dehumidifiers is to salvage damaged items. If you begin the drying process as soon as possible, you can easily salvage as much items as possible.
Things to Keep In Mind When Removing Moisture
There are certain things that you should keep in mind when working to remove moisture at home or at the workplace. Ensuring these will help keep infections and diseases away while you clean the area and rid it of moisture.
Wear Proper Gear
Moisture in the home or office can be dangerous. This is why you should take the proper measures prior to entering such a facility.
- You should wear a mask, gloves, boots, and goggles.
Once you are done cleaning such an area, you should consider washing your hands thoroughly. Also, you should disinfect the equipment to ensure none of the germs and infection gets carried with you.
Getting Medical Aid
Another thing you should make sure of is getting tetanus shots prior to cleaning up the premises.
Doing this will make sure that you do not catch any infections. This is especially necessary if you haven't been vaccinated recently.
If you require further information about this, you should consider talking to your doctor.
Electricity and Gas Leaks
Before you enter the flooded premises you have to make sure that the area is safe to enter. During floods, electrical sockets can get filled with water. Since water is a conductor, the flooding could result in electrocution. The best thing to do would be to turn off the main breaker.
Another danger is the possibility of a gas leak. If there is a gas leak, it can cause a fire. Take these precautions, to make sure that you are safe while restoring flood damage to your home or office.
Look Out For Insects and Creatures
When there is a flood, all kind of insects and creatures are transported from their regular habitat into your home.
- Some of these creatures and insects may also be poisonous.
- To avoid facing any serious injuries, you should conduct a thorough survey of the area.
- Look in every nook and corner for such creatures and insects. This will ensure that you remain safe while cleaning up the area.
There are quite a few species of snakes that can make their way into your home. To make sure you are safe from such poisonous snakes, you should check certain areas like the cabinets, closets and attic.
Making Your Home Flood Proof
Most homes are at a risk of flooding unless they are built in a high area. This is why you should make an effort to make your home flood proof.
There is no fool-proof way to prevent your home from flooding. However, you should make arrangements to make sure that the damage is minimized.
One of the most common ways to prevent water damage is to place sand bags at the foot of doors where water might seep through the crack at the bottom.
But keep in mind:
- Most floods occur because the sewerage system is backed up. If proper arrangements are not made to prevent the sewerage system backup, sewerage water can pool up in your home.
- The best thing to do in such a case would be to hire a professional and get proper backflow valves installed. Backflow valves will prevent sewerage water from getting into your home.
Another thing that you should consider installing is foundation vents.
- Even if the sewerage water gets into your home, it will flow out. The water will flow into your home, but will not accumulate.
- This will prevent significant damage to your home or office.
You should take these precautionary measures to make sure that you do not have to deal with significant flood damage. Despite taking precautions, if you still end up facing flood damage (which is a possibility), be sure to use the tips presented in this article to cope with flood damage.