Become an Appliance Expert. Subscribe to our Knowledge Base!
How Will El Nino Affect The Way You Stay Cool?
This weather condition usually affects areas along the eastern side of the Pacific Ocean. The El Nino results in severe warming of the water surface which results in further changes on land.
The most commonly known changes associated with El Nino is flood and drought. Even the weather becomes quite extreme. The good thing is that it does not occur quite frequently.
You will notice such changes in the weather after every 3 to 7 years. However, when the weather conditions are altered due to El Nino, they are intense.
El Nino does not only affect the summers, in fact it can occur in severe winters. Not only that, but the winters are also quite damp. This weather condition results in extreme rainfall and cloudy weather. The atmospheric patterns and even the rainfall patterns get disturbed during El Nino.
The worst part is that there are long-term effects of this condition as well.
These conditions include:
- Extreme dry weather
- Flooding in certain areas
If you live in an area that may get affected by this severe weather condition, you should make the necessary preparations ahead of time. These preparations will ensure that you are able to remain as comfortable as possible during the harsh conditions.
One of the main concerns amongst people is meeting their cooling requirements. This can get quite tricky as certain appliances will not provide adequate cooling in the event of an El Nino.
Weather Changes in Various Regions
There is a common misconception that El Nino causes uniform weather changes across all regions. In actuality, this weather condition has a varied effect from region to region.
- If an area experiences cool weather, the El Nino condition will amplify the weather and make it severely cold.
- On the other hand, if the weather is warm or tropical, it becomes excessively hot.
- However, the exact changes that El Nino induces on local weather are still not entirely clear.
- The areas that are typically affected by El Nino are Mexico and the US.
Effects of El Nino in the US
El Nino can be predicted in advance. But the weather change it will bring about can't be anticipated for sure. When El Nino hit the US previously, the damp weather became severely wet. In this situation, this weather condition amplified the weather change results. But there is no telling what affect El Nino will have on the weather this year.
Areas like Mexico normally have warm weather. Furthermore, the warm weather is paired with little rainfall. This warm and dry weather becomes excessively hot and results in drought.
The worst part is that these weather conditions remain as such for quite a while.
In areas where the cold is severe, people can make arrangements to keep themselves warm.
However, areas that experience hot weather are the ones that face immense problems. The regular cooling devices will not have much of an effect when used.
This is why people modify their cooling appliances. In some cases, they even buy new appliances.
Types of Coolers to Use
There are many different types of coolers available in the market. You can select a cooling appliance in accordance with your preference or the weather condition of your area.
In some areas, swamp coolers work the best. They provide adequate cooling and make the environment less dry.
On the other hand, you can also use air conditioners. They provide a higher level of cooling. Let's look at the types of cooling appliances you can use.
Cooling Appliances to Use In Extreme Dry Conditions
There are quite a few cooling appliances you can use in dry conditions. The first cooling appliance that will work if the weather in your area is dry is a swamp cooler.
How swamp coolers work:
- Swamp coolers spray tiny droplets of water into the air.
- These droplets are displaced into the entire area. This is done with the help of a built-in powerful fan.
- When the fan displaces the droplets, they evaporate.
- As the droplets evaporate, the environment gets cooler.
This may seem unlikely but it works along the same process as when you step out of a pool. No matter how warm the weather is, the water evaporation cools down the body. Similarly, as the droplets evaporate from the environment, the ambient air is cooled.
It also adds moisture to the air. In addition to evaporative coolers, you can also opt for an air conditioner with a humidifier. These air conditioners are made specifically for dry weather conditions. They not only cool down the environment, but they also make the surrounding air humid.
Ideal Appliances for Humid Conditions
There are not many appliances you can use to cool down an environment if it is humid. There are appliances that remove moisture from the air, like dehumidifiers.
In addition, there are air conditioners that have built-in dehumidifiers. These air conditioners work perfectly in areas that have excessive moisture in the air.
Do keep in mind that swamp coolers aren't always ineffective in humid conditions. In certain situations, evaporative coolers prove effective in humid conditions.
Be sure to analyze the level of moisture in the air before considering an evaporative cooler.
- If you want to make sure that you have the correct cooling appliance, you have to consider the weather. The weather conditions are quite predictable, often for months in advance.
- You should keep an eye on the weather forecasts. It will keep you updated regarding the upcoming weather changes.
- This will enable you to consider which type of appliance to purchase.
It may be difficult to purchase a new appliance every time the weather changes. However, there are other options you can look towards in such a case.
Getting Your Existing Cooling Appliances to Adapt To Weather Changes
There are quite a few instances where the cooling appliances that you have will not be able to work in accordance with the weather in your area. It is not always possible to purchase new appliances each time the weather changes.
This is why you should consider purchasing supplementary appliances or add-ons. These appliances will work simultaneously with the existing cooling appliance to provide adequate cooling.
Let's look at some of the best supplementary appliances to stay cool during the toughest weather conditions:
Air conditioners simply provide cool air. It does not dehumidify the environment or provide humid air to cope with dryness.
One of the best appliances to have is a simple air conditioner. This is because you can pair it with a number of secondary appliances. Once combined with these appliances, it can work to provide you a cooler environment in any weather condition.
If you reside in an area which has a humid climate, you should consider getting a dehumidifier. You can turn on the air conditioner along with the dehumidifier to get the moisture out of the air. You will cool and dry air this way.
On the other hand, if you live in an area with dry weather you should consider getting a humidifier.
- The humidifier will work in tandem with the air conditioner to humidify the air.
- This way you won't have to go through the hassle of buying a new air conditioner.
- In addition, you will be able to use the same air conditioner for humid or dry weather. All you will need to do is change the secondary appliance and you are good to go.
The best part is that they are economical to operate.
However, one of the main disadvantages of swamp coolers is that they use moisture to cool the air, in fact, a swamp cooler actually releases moisture into the air.
- This is why there are not many appliances you can pair with it.
- If the weather is especially dry, the swamp cooler will work perfectly.
- It will provide excellent cooling and a great ambiance.
- Swamp coolers can also work in damp environments.
- However, there is a severe humidity level at which the swamp cooler can work properly. If the humidity level is excessive, the swamp cooler will not cool properly.
This is because the water droplets will not be able to evaporate. They will remain in the air and dampen the environment further. The worst part is that these water droplets can harm the surroundings if the evaporative cooler is placed indoors.
If you have any electronics in the room where the swamp cooler is installed, they are likely to get damaged because of the humidity in the air.
The El Nino climate condition is tough to deal with. However, if you are vigilant enough, you will be able to deal with the adverse effects that it presents. If the area you are residing in gets too hot, be sure to select the correct cooling appliance. This will ensure that you don't have to face the immense heat.