Heatstroke, Toxic Mold, Gross Pests - A Dehumidifier Can Help!
There were 3,442 reported deaths from exposure to heat between 1999 and 2003 according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. People are more vulnerable to heatstroke when living in hot, humid environments because the body can't properly cool itself. Living in these environments can cause many other heath issues too including:
- Allergic reactions to toxic mold and dust mite fecal matter
- Fungal infections
- Excessive sweating
- General discomfort
- Steam from cooking
- Running the dish washer
- Using hot water in the sink
- Laundry rooms
- Even aquariums can raise the humidity in a room
How do you know if there's too much moisture in your home and if you need a room dehumidifier? There are some tell-tale signs that you can look out for. If you see condensation on your windows or mirrors or if you see stains on your ceilings or walls then you probably have high humidity that needs to be corrected. Luckily the solution is simply using a dehumidifier for home.
Are you at risk for some of the health issues associated with high humidity? Read on to find out and learn how an air dehumidifier can help resolve these problems. If high humidity goes uncorrected then it can cause some serious short term and long term problems for you and your family's health.
Heatstroke can be Fatal!
High humidity can actually cause direct physical health problems. Probably the most serious effect humidity can have on your health is the risk of heatstroke. With the combination of high heat and excessive humidity your body won't be able to properly cool itself. What normally happens during your body's cooling process is sweat is released through the skin and then it evaporates which results in a cooling effect. When there is too much moisture in the air the sweat from your skin can't evaporate as easily and thus no cooling can occur. This can result in heatstroke or even death!
Though dehumidifiers don't actually lower the ambient temperature, they will make it feel cooler because they will lower the humidity in a room. The body is then better able to cool itself through sweating, which can evaporate more easily.
Toxic Mold - Allergic Reactions & Fungal Infections!
Mold is nothing to joke around about and it can grow and thrive abundantly in moist environments. Condensation that forms on cooler surfaces in the home are the perfect breeding ground for mold. The problem with mold is that when it forms it releases mold spores and other toxic gases into the air. Once in the air, they can be very hard to get rid of and stay for extended periods of time. People can have severe reactions to these mold spores. Especially those with allergies, the elderly and those with weakened immune systems. These can include short term flu-like symptoms such as:
- Allergic reactions
- Bleeding in the lungs
Cockroaches & Mites & Fleas - Oh My!
Unfortunately, high humidity is also the preferred living environment for many annoying pests like fleas, moths, cockroaches and dust mites! Dust mites are particularly harmful to your health because some people can be very allergic to their fecal matter, which can accumulate anywhere in your house including couches, carpets, and mattresses.
Fortunately, a whole house dehumidifier can solve this pest problem. If the humidity drops below 50% dust mites will dry out and die. This is because they stay hydrated by absorbing moisture from the air. You can simply use a space dehumidifier featuring a built-in humidistat. This will allow you to control the amount of humidity in the air, so you can set the dehumidifier just below 50% and dust mites will begin to die off in about 4 to 11 days.
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff!
As mentioned, in high humidity sweat released from your body can't evaporate as easily. So it has nowhere to go but to stay on your skin. Your body also just keeps producing it to try to make itself cool off. When this happens over an extended period of time it can lead to even more problems like sleep disruption, anxiety, fever, light-headedness, dehydration, and even exhaustion.
Portable dehumidifiers not only help your body's natural cooling process through lowering humidity levels but they also blow air, circulating it around a room. This helps the evaporation process even more, allowing for an even cooler effect on the skin.
Stuffiness, Mustiness, Stains & Rotting!
Humans are very sensitive to humidity and as you've read, high humidity can cause some severe health issues. It can also cause general discomfort and inconvenience:
- Rooms feel stuffy like they have more people in them than they actually do
- Laundry doesn't dry completely and will start to smell musty
- Stains on walls and ceilings
- Wood can start to rot
- Framing will begin to bend
Keep up to date on all our latest content and sign up below
- Shop All Departments
- Shop by Room Size:
- Editor's Picks
- Shop by Price:
- Shop by Size:
- Shop by Brand:
- Dehumidifier Resources:
- Contact Us
- Clearance Items
- 3 EASY WAYS TO PAY!
- Customer Service Hours:
Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 5 PM PST
- Toll Free Number:
- Local Number:
- Fax Number:
1100 S. Linwood Ave. Bldg B
Santa Ana, CA 92705
- In-Store Pick Up Available:
If you're a local customer, save on shipping by coming in to pick up your order. Select products that are available for local pick up - Call now and come in to pick up your purchase!
Will Call Hours:
Mon-Fri: 9 AM - 4 PM PST