Portable Air Conditioners are Low Cost, Easy-to-Use & Eco Friendly - What's Not to Love!
Are you looking for an affordable way to cool your home through the unbearably hot summer months? Consider a portable air conditioner. Some models can be up to 50% more energy efficient than central air conditioning units. Since most of your electricity bill comes from cooling your home just think of all the money using a portable AC can save you!
Is a Room Air Conditioner Right for You?
Do you live in an older home that can't accommodate a central air conditioner system?
It's hard to imagine living without air conditioning but there actually was a time when people didn't have this technology. Homes just weren't built to accommodate such a system to run throughout the walls and ceilings. Not to worry, portable air conditioning is a great alternative and can go in any room that has a window for venting. Unlike window units though, they can be easily moved from room to room.
Do you want to cool only the rooms in your house that you use the most?
Why waste energy and money cooling rooms that you don't use that much. An air conditioner that is portable will allow you to cool only those rooms that you use the most. Put one in your bedroom if you like it to be cooler when you sleep at night.
Does it get too hot in your kitchen or laundry room?
It can get really hot when your cooking a meal in your kitchen or running the dryer in the laundry room. Instead of cranking up the AC and causing the rest of your house to freeze, try using single room air conditioning. You'll stay comfortable while doing your chores without freezing out the rest of your family.
Some Portable Air Conditioning Myths to Clear Up
- They are expensive to run - while they are more expensive than evaporative coolers, small portable air conditioners are actually a less expensive alternative to traditional, central systems. Also, not all climates can accommodate evaporative coolers. Unless you live in a very dry climate, which is ideal for swamp coolers, then a small air conditioning unit is your affordable option.
- They are bad for the environment - today, air conditioners adhere to the environmentally friendly R410A refrigerant. RoHS compliant air conditioner units meet strict environmental standards. They emit no CFC's or other ozone destroying byproducts.
Even More Benefits to Using Portable Air Conditioning
- Energy efficient features - most models offer extra features that will save even more energy and thus cut the cost of your energy bill. These features can include timers that will automatically turn off or on so the unit is only running when you need it. Also, adjustable thermostats allow you to set the temperature to your exact preference so if you're not in a room you could set it higher to save energy.
- All-in-one units - some models of movable air conditioners can also work as heaters, dehumidifiers and fans. You can save money by only purchasing one model instead of four and you don't have to worry about the hassle of storing the appliances when not using them.
- Easy to move - unlike window units, you can easily move a portable air conditioner from room to room as they have wheels and are lightweight. The set-up is really easy all you have to do is vent it through a window.
- Auto evaporation - unlike older models, newer air conditioning systems include auto evaporative technology that means you don't have to worry about always having to empty buckets of water.
Other Things to Consider
- Maintenance - if you don't get a model with auto evaporative technology then you'll have to regularly drain the water. You'll need to make sure you regularly change the filters so that the unit can operate at optimal cooling efficiency and effectively filter particles. You'll also need to keep the exterior clean. For more specific information about maintaining a portable AC please read these maintenance requirements.
- Ventilation - while they are completely portable you will still need to vent the unit. Most models come with a venting kit that is very easy to install. This article will teach you How to Vent a Portable Air Conditioner.
- Other costs- the initial cost of a portable system is relatively inexpensive. However, you'll have to keep in mind that you'll eventually have to replace the filters when cleaning them just isn't enough. Replacement filters aren't very expensive but it's still something you'll want to keep in mind as some units can include several different filters that need replacing. This can add up.
Now you should have a better idea if an air conditioner that is portable is right for you. If you need further help deciding on a particular model, read our helpful Buying Guide. It can give you helpful comparisons and list of some of the most popular models.